History of the Building
ARLETA - Reproductive Health Centre provides its health services in a building erected during the 1930s. In those days, the town was a popular destination for weekend trips and was architecturally designed to impress.
The first proprietor, Josef Dostál, owned a factory manufacturing strap shoes, which were all the rage across Europe at that time.
In the 1920s, Dostál asked Oldřich Liska (1881–1959), a well-known architect from Hradec Králové, to build a private Functionalist residence on the main boulevard in Kostelec nad Orlicí. The building was finished in 1934. This era ends with WWII, when the factory owner´s wife, who had Jewish origins, returned from Theresienstadt concentration camp after the war with broken health.
Like most similar buildings, after 1948 the building fell into disrepair. No-one took care of the garden, the outdoor swimming pool was destroyed and the pavilion in the garden was demolished.
In the 1980s the town used the residence as a kindergarten, which continued to operate into the 1990s. However, the low birth rate of those years saw the kindergarten close, and no other use was found for the building. The building remained vacant till 2002.
For whatever the reason – maybe the pitiful appearance of that First Republic villa, maybe the decline in the child population and the country’s falling birth rate, or perhaps faith in our own medical abilities – we decided to unite the fate of the building with the founding of the ARLETA Reproductive Health Centre.
The villa was reconstructed in 2002 and 2003, ensuring the building was fully adapted to its new function. The architect was Ing. Aleš Granát, from AG Ateliér, Kostelec nad Orlicí.